Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Who to vote for in Lambeth


I feel suitably chastened by a comment on my last post which reminded me that some local voters have got together and produced a website intended to stimulate interest in the local elections in my fair Borough of Lambeth

http://www.electionmemory.com/

As the people behind the website put it…

Why Lambeth?

A couple of reasons. Firstly some of us live here and care about what happens to the place. But secondly turnout in Lambeth is low (very very low in some areas). Hopefully this site might trigger enough debate to make people want to go out and vote...

Fair play to these people for caring and trying to make a difference. Me, I’ve had the dubious experience of working for a few London Councils in the not super distant past and I believe that the entire system is a whorehouse.

Maybe one day a few of us can get together, tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.

I doubt it though. The process of turning every service that was once controlled by elected, accountable politicians over to companies like Equita, Capita, Omni Consumer Products, and all the rest, rolls inexocerably on and on.

In the meantime…

/ shrugs shoulders

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You won't be able to vote anyway, of course, as your identity will be stolen and someone will have applied for a postal vote under your name, changing your address in the process on a duplicate election form.
I think I may move back to South Wales.

Shablagoo! said...

Omni Consumer Products...

How prophetic did that turn out to be. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realised that, aside from its action movie trappings, Robocop is a pretty damning black satire on American materialism and where it was/is headed...

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

Stef said...

In years to come people will look upon the Robocop/ Total Recall/ STarship Troopers trilogy with the same reverence accorded to '1984' today