Friday, February 16, 2007

Take the conspiracy test

I've just completed a sophisticated on-line test published by the State Broadcasting Company that promises to establish 'How Conspiratorial Are You?'

I was stunned to discover that, in my case, the answer was 'A lot'




A companion article explains that this is the result of me being what is technically known as 'barking mad', plus what few friends I have, if any, are also out of their tits

However heavy a blow this may be it must be true as it was put together by a Dr and I therefore should check myself into a state run psychiatric facility as soon as possible.

My favourite questions from the test include...

  • For the most part, government serves the interests of a few organised groups, such as business, and isn't very concerned about the needs of people like myself.
  • It is difficult for people like myself to have much influence in public affairs.
  • Most politicians are sympathetic people and do a good job.

plus the usual stuff about JFK, Princess Diana, the Moon Landings and Space Aliens

There were, naturally, no questions about the existence and awesome global power of Al Qaeda or Russian government complicity in the Litvinenko poisoning because, as any sane person with lots of sane friends knows, they are not conspiracy theories.

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Take the conspiracy test" as set by a child psychologist?

Tony said...

Biased people want to tell us that we are biased? How cute.

And to tell me that "You may also feel that your voice in terms of wider political decisions is rarely heard or acted upon" when I strongly agree to "It is difficult for people like myself to have much influence in public affairs.", that is just RocketScience™.

Alas, I suffer only a mild case of conspiratites, maybe because I don't know what happend to WTC and Pricess Di.

26-50

Your responses indicate that you have a medium level of belief in conspiracy theories. You may well be quite trusting of your close friends, partners, those you work with and others but sometimes cannot be sure of all of them all of the time. You may also feel that your voice in terms of wider political decisions is rarely heard or acted upon, perhaps because government and big business is more concerned with their own interests than with those of the average person.

Especially cute how they try to tie in the relation to my friends with my perception of the world. Just grand.

Tony said...

"We also hate gaps or inconsistencies in our knowledge. We want "closure" in our thinking and to believe that we live in a stable and predictable world, so we might seek out a simple account of a complex event.

As a rule people tend to accept supporting evidence at face value while subjecting contrary evidence to much more critical evaluation."

Hehe, one could make the argument that this is the reason we don't see anybody questioning the threat by Al Qaeda (or even its existance). Starting with questions "Why would they lie to us?" We would have to ask what are their motives, how do they benefit, etc.? So we rather take the simple account for granted that 19 hijackers with box-cutters caused the complex events we see today in Iraq and Afghanistan. Everybody has a "Please don't disturb me with facts" attitude and lives happily ever after with it. Fuck em.